The Engine House contains the 1914 Hathorn Davey triple expansion steam engine which could pump up to 11 megalitres of water per day up to the service reservoir. The well is situated in the adjacent room behind the bricked-up archway.
The pitman (which is preserved in the Boiler House) was connected to the crank at the end of the engine and protruded through the archway to operate the well pumps. The engine also drove pumps situated beneath it to pump the water up to the reservoir.
The same well provides our water today using submersible pumps driven by A.C. electric motors.
The pitman in situ
As it is today